posted: Jul. 09, 2021.
July is National Minority Mental Health Awareness Month. It is important for individuals of color to understand that their mental health matters. During minority mental health awareness month minorities are encouraged to take a closer look at mental health and how it effects our communities. Minorities should not be afraid to seek mental health treatment. Reach out to a mental health professional if you are experiencing signs and symptoms of a mental illness.
Minorities can also begin to focus on mental health wellness by incorporating self-care into their daily routines. Self-care can help the mind, body, and sprit reset and function at it highest potential. Self-care begins with self-love. Loving yourself can begin with small changes such as:
- Valuing yourself- Have a heart of gratitude. Be grateful for each day. Identify things that you are grateful for.
- Mediation- mindfulness mediation,
- Praying- Start your day with prayer and continuously pray throughout the day.
- Exercising- taking daily 30-minute walks, swimming, yoga, Zumba -
- Take time to laugh- Laughter is good for the soul
- Healthy eating- What we put in our bodies is important. Drink plenty of water at least eight 8 oz cups of per day. Eliminate processed foods.
- Get plenty of sleep- Seven to Nine hours is suggested.
As a minority let’s reduce the stigma regarding mental health. Your mental health matters. Increase awareness by sharing some of the tips with your family and friends. Encourage them to seek treatment too. #MinorityMentalHealthMatters